Every year, we have calls informing NPHI Medical Services that someone became sick after returned home from a visit in any of the tropical countries where NPH has homes. We cannot advise enough that before travelling you should have a prevention health plan:
- Review your vaccine status.
- Bring and apply bug repellent.
- Wear light and long sleeve clothing.
- Drink only safe water – ask the home for the status of the tap water (usually safe but if there is any doubt drink only bottled water).
- Bring mosquito net for sleeping.
- Check the surroundings of your bed at bedtime.
- Bring enough medicine if you are taking some on a regular basis.
- Check the CDC website or with NPHI Medical Services regarding the latest trends or epidemics.
- Dengue fever remains a high risk and the rainy season already started in a lot of tropical and subtropical countries. One of the most common diagnosis in the US for travelers after returning home is fever caused by dengue.
Enjoy your trip and stay safe.